Wednesday, December 05, 2001

Cheating a bit today - the new content isn't original, it was first included on FallNet. More devastatingly original content tomorrow!
I found this interview by Odran Smith (one of our old gang) tucked away in the archives of the official Fall website. The Frank Chickens may be long gone but Kazuko from the band is still active and recently collaborated with the Fall.
Interview with Kazuko Hohki of the Frank Chickens by Odran Smith, April 2001

Odran Smith: Was it Grant Showbiz's idea to bring yourself and The Fall
together and collaborate?
Kazuko Hohki: Yes!
OS: Have you listened to any of The Fall's back catalogue? If the answer is
yes... what are your favourite songs?
KH: Yes but can't remember the names - a song about an old woman appeals to
me lately.
OS: Did you meet Mark E Smith during the recording of the Unutterable?
KH: No, I've met him several times though.
OS: Are The Fall popular in Japan?
KH: Among special people, yes.
OS: Do you know what 'Cyber Insekt' is about?
KH: No!
OS: What is Kazumi Taguchi [Kazuko's partner in the Frank Chickens] doing
nowadays?
KH: She's been a manageress of a hair salon in Mayfair, and now works for a
Japanese car factory as a translator.
OS: What do you miss most about Japan? And what would you miss most if you
returned to Japan?
KH: I used to miss my parents a lot but, now they are dead, they are
permanently with me. I'd miss British people (my friends), the feeling of
being a foreigner which liberates me, the multi-culturalness of London, my
house, space...
OS: Were you surprised that Ninja Tune decided to remix 'We Are Ninja'
(2000) after all this time?
KH: About time! They are good people.
OS: What did you think of Shonen Knife?
KH: Great to have Japanese women doing things not expected of them. More
please!
OS: Were you shocked at the positive critical opinion about the Unutterable
and, in particular, 'Cyber Insekt'?
KH: I don't follow music media, so am ignorant.
Kazuko's web site