Saturday, April 27, 2002

I got my tickets for ESG and Mantronix (Bagley's, Sat night) but whilst searching for more info on ESG I found two bands of the same name - the other are a bunch of scary gangsta rappers not to be confused with the infamous Bronx electro-soul-funk-punk pioneers. This promises to be a really good night.

I spent the entire afternoon in Curzon Soho cramming in movies. I saw Y Tu Mama Tambien (And Your Mama Too) and 24 Hour Party People. The first one is currently the second highest grossing movie in London, and is rare in that it's actually a thought provoking sex comedy about coming-of-age. With this and last year's Amores Perros, Mexico is fast becoming a film industry to be taken seriously.
I really enjoyed 24 Hour Party People, probably helped by the fact that I saw it in a cinema with a great sound system. I thought Steve Coogan was great as Tony Wilson, playing him as an idealist gone askew, or a 'prat' if you prefer. Some great music and great cameos too (Mark E Smith!).

Full marks for BBC2's Snooker coverage (which I caught by accident of course!), who opened the show with Jimmy the Exploder from the first White Stripes album! Apparently Mr Jimmy White had a bit of an outburst yesterday or something....